SimpleViewer requires Macromedia Flash. Get Macromedia Flash. If you have Flash installed, click to view gallery

Welcome to our Gallery

The gallery contains a small selection of images from the island of Krk.

Called the Golden Island since ancient times due to its mild climate, lush vegetation and favourable position in the Kvarner Bay, the island of Krk is the largest island in the Adriatic. Its proximity and connection to the mainland makes it an attractive tourist destination.

The island of Krk is the cradle of culture and literacy as visible by the many monuments, museums, sacral buildings, such as the medieval centre of the town of Krk, Baška tablet in Jurandvor, the Franciscan monastery on the islet of Košljun...

Thanks to the eco-projects and a systematic concern for cleanliness and environmental protection, the island of Krk is an island of Blue Flags, which fly in the towns of Krk, Malinska, Njivica, Vrbnik and Šilo and Punat marina.

Baška Tablet (Baščanska ploča) – the old Croatian monument was written in the Glagolitic script in circa 1100 and originates from the Church of St. Lucy in Jurandvor near Baška on the island of Krk. One of the oldest stone-carved monuments of the Croatian language contains information about the construction of the Church of St. Lucy and a record of Croatian King Zvonimir’s donation.

It represents a significant source for the history of the Croatian people, language and development of the Croatian Glagolitic script. It shows the sovereignty of Croatian King Zvonimir as the donor of land on the island; in addition to its linguistic and literary significance, the tablet is historically significant because of the first mention of the ruler’s name in the folk language.